Good grief you guys, I’m getting pretty tired of winter and we still have several weeks to go. Doing fun projects like this Mason Jar Herb Garden is what keeps me going. Besides being a cute little décor vignette, it’s so nice to have fresh herbs ready for snipping to add to those yummy, comfort foods. However, my favorite reason for growing herbs indoors is the sensory experience. I love the smell of fresh rosemary, lavender, basil, thyme, etc., etc.
- 3 mason jars (I use the 16 oz size)
- River pebbles or any other type of pebbles
- Potting mix
- Herb plants or seeds
- Put about 1 – 2 inches of gravel in the bottom of each jar (this will help with drainage since there are no holes in the jar).
- Add an inch or so of potting mix to the jar (if you’re planting seeds, go ahead and fill the soil to about a half inch from the top of the jar, and plant the seeds according to directions on the seed packet).
- Now add your herb plant.
- Add potting mix to fill in around the plant (if needed) and press the soil down and around the plant.
- Give your plant or seeds a good drink of water (not too much though).
- Add a cute label to your jar, a cute tag around the neck of the jar, or a cute stick label like the ones I used.
Seriously, this is so quick and easy to put together, give it a try. It would also be a great project to do with kids. So, what are you doing to stay sane this winter? Check out my other winter gardening posts for some more great ideas:
Thanks a bunch for stopping by today. Give this sweet, little Mason Jar Herb Garden a try.
Come back soon.
p.s. I’d love to have you follow me on Pinterest. Lots of great gardening ideas and tons of gardener’s eye candy.
This post contains affiliate links. If you click on
one of the links and make a purchase,
I may receive a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thanks so much!
Supplies for your Mason Jar Herb Garden:
I’m linking to these parties:
Feathered Nest Friday
A Morning Cup of Joe
Sundays at Home
Dishing It & Digging It
Silver Pennies Sunday
Amaze Me Monday
Inspire Me Tuesday
Celebrate Your Story
Reader Tip Tuesday
Wow Us Wednesdays
To Grandma’s House We Go
Share Your Style
Share Your Cup
Tuesdays at Our Home