I think it’s time I shared another garden makeover at Gingham Gardens. When we moved into our current home at the end of summer 2016, the list of garden projects was endless, and it still is, but lots of the projects have been checked off. Read about my first garden makeover here. In reality, I started this project the day we moved in. There were movers and boxes all over the inside and I just couldn’t deal with that. Plus, it was a lovely day and I really needed to stay out of the way. Good excuse, right?
This area runs along our driveway, so it is very visible from the street. I hated it from the moment I saw it on the realty listing photos and I hated it even more when I saw it in person, but I knew I could make it beautiful. One of my gardening pet peeves is seeing hosta planted in full sun. The poor shady plants just get burnt up by the time July rolls around, even in zone 4. For some reason lots of people think it’s okay, but I won’t go off too much on how crazy it makes me, because I don’t want to alienate my readers. This is the picture from the real estate listing.
This is what the bed looked like before I started. Well really I worked a little and then decided to take some before pictures. See the moving trucks, and you thought I was joking.
I dug out hosta, ditch lilies, crocosmia and tons of weeds. This picture also shows lots of other overgrown plants and shrubs that are gone now. Way over to the right, you can see a portion of the weeds in the foundation bed in front of the house.
So I have a confession to make, I pitched most of these plants. I had a huge pile at the end of our driveway and a few of the neighbors came and picked through it. I did keep a few of the hosta and moved them to the shade where they are very happy and thriving. I don’t want to offend anyone, but I really dislike ditch lilies, unless they are in a ditch where they belong. And croscosmia, I just sort of like it, but it’s crazy invasive here in zone 4. I’m still pulling lots of babies this year. Here’s a picture of the last of it.
After I got everything dug out. I filled the massive holes in with bagged compost and then covered it with cardboard boxes (of which we had a plenty). On top of the boxes I spread out mulched up leaves and grass. I left it that way for the winter. I didn’t take any pictures of that, because at the time I wasn’t thinking about doing a blog post. I just wanted to put it to bed for the winter and be done with it. This spring my grunt man (hubby) tilled it for me. Overall, this method worked really well and I plan on doing it in some more areas of the yard this fall.
I planned this bed out a little more that some of the other areas that I have done, because I wanted it a little more structured, or as structured as one of my gardens can be. The perennials I planted are Becky Shasta Daisies, Royal Candle Veronica, Black-Eyed Susan, Autumn Joy Sedum, Karmina Geranium, South Seas Daylilies, Arizona Sun Gaillardia and Little Pleasures Daylilies. I then added in some annuals – Marigolds and Geraniums. I will be able to change the look by changing up the annuals every year. Here is a picture taken early in June just a week or so after I finished planting and mulching. You’ll also be able to see the difference with the other overgrown shrubs removed.
Here are a few pictures taken the first week in July when things were really starting to fill in.
In the next picture, you can also see some of the changes we’ve made so far to the front of the house. My very talented hubby made shutters and a window box. I also spent a lot of time last fall digging out weeds, a crappy, old rose bush and some kind of weed tree that had an unbelievably long tap root. There were actually some decent perennials that I moved to a different area. I then planted some shrubs along the foundation. I’m not completely happy with that area yet. Perhaps I’ll share it next year after it’s gone through some more rearranging. Any way, we’ve gotten tons of compliments from our neighbors and we think the changes so far have really made a difference in the curb appeal of our little, humble abode.
Back to the matter at hand… Here are a few pictures from just a few weeks ago.
Below is one last comparison, not quite the same angle, but I think it’s easy to see we’ve done a fair amount of work.
I’m very pleased with the way this makeover turned out and I love hearing the compliments from our neighbors. Thanks for stopping by to check out another flower garden makeover at Gingham Gardens. Hang out for awhile and have a look around. Please feel free to share this post and others. I love comments, too. And, if you have already done so, please subscribe to receive regular email updates from Gingham Gardens.
Linking up with The Scoop at Cedar Hill Farm House.
Linking up with Gardens Galore at Everyday Living.
Linking up with Inspire Me Tuesday at A Stroll Thru Life.
Linking up with Celebrate Your Story at Celebrate and Decorate.
Linking up with Wow Us Wednesdays at Savvy Southern Style.
Linking up with Wonderful Wednesday at Marilyns Treats.
Linking up with Welcome Home Wednesday at Peaches and Willow.
Linking up with Home and Garden Thursday at A Delightsome Life.
Linking up with Thursday Favorite Things.
Linking up with Share Your Cup at Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson.
Linking up with Dishing It & Digging It at Angie The Freckled Rose.
Linking up with Reader Tip Tuesday at Jodie Fitz.